Saturday is my favorite day for cuddling with my pup and making fancy breakfasts. Later this afternoon we’re taking this hound dog to the 4th Annual Tulsa Turkish festival, so a nice filling breakfast is in order.
Oatmeal is like a blank canvas – there are so many different and delicious things you can do with it. Yesterday I had the idea to make Mexican Hot Chocolate oatmeal and nothing gets me out of bed on a Saturday morning like having a small mission to complete. Here’s the final result:
It turned out really well and keeps you going for hours, so I thought I’d share the recipe. I gave my husband a taste and he thought it was too sweet for morning food. But hey, it’s Saturday. If you want a breakfast under 400 calories that tastes like dessert, then here’s your ticket:
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 tbsp Unsweetened Baking Cocoa
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1-2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 small Banana
- Make the oatmeal as directed on the box, substituting almond milk for the water. While it's cooking on the stove, add your baking cocoa, brown sugar, and cinnamon to an empty bowl. Once the oatmeal is cooked, transfer it to the bowl and mix with the other ingredients. Top with bananas.
- Total Calories: 372
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats (150 kcal)
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (60 kcal)
- 1 tbsp Unsweetened Baking Cocoa (20 kcal)
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar (52kcal)
- 1 small Banana (90kcal)
If you’re trying to lose that winter weight in time for summer, this 372 calorie breakfast is perfect and ridiculously filling. Leave out the banana and you’re at just 290 kcal. It’s very satisfying for anyone who has a sweet tooth at breakfast – although you should probably just leave that sugar out.